Sunday, July 11, 2010

Creative Empire Building

Have you ever wondered how Richard Branson built his empire from nothing? What’s certain is that when he was 19 and larking about with his student newspaper he didn’t sit down and write out a business plan that included owning a couple of airlines, a space program, an island paradise and a financial institution or two!

At 19 Branson was just like most small business owners… thinking really creatively about where income could come from so he could pay the bills. So what changed? Those who dare to think big with their businesses are adept at taking the next step…

What’s different about their next step is that it is the step beyond what they can see clearly now. Leaders who live large are willing to take steps into the unknown. If you want to live a life larger than any movie star or business guru, this is the first and only step you need to take… and you’ll need to take a lot of them!!

So what’s the use of a business plan or strategic plan if stepping beyond the obvious is all that’s required? Well, this morning I woke up at 4am (sleepless in Brisbane) dreaming intricate details of the products I’m creating for BlissTribe.

Over the weekend we had done some creative brainstorming on BlissTribe and this had clearly carried over into my subconscious. Last night those plans showed me the next steps beyond my waking imagination…that’s why I create plans!! I use plans to dream and to create… to develop my ideas beyond what I can see now… to catch glimpses of what else is possible and to discover what those ‘next steps’ could look like.

Does this make planning sound just a little more interesting and appealing to you?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment